Friday, October 2, 2009

Some of my favourites... here they are!

Yippeee!!! I am done with my project presentations yesterday. My mind feels a few tons lighter! But my heart gets as many tons heavier when I think of the exams which would commence in another 5 days time. Having said that, I decided to relax and clean my desktop which had become a storehouse for all those documents and articles downloaded from the 'Top 10 Google searches' (as our CEO puts it). Google has made search easier but bandwidth tougher!! They say "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going". Inspite of the tough bandwidth, I did download quite a few Cricket and Amitabh Bachchan videos. As the thought was haunting me since this evening as to what could be the possible next topic for me to scribble, I decided that I should keep it simple and not grind my Hippocampus. Hippocampus is that part of the brain which is very crucial for a strong memory power! I need them desperately for whole of next week, got to (or GOTCHA in SMS/Chat/Internet language) fight 6 wars. 4 Marketing Wars, 1 Legal War (my Business Law paper) and 1 'God knows what it is' War :-)

Well, I would do strain my Hippocampus to certain level so that it doesn't get blunt. This is a kinda warm-up for it let us suppose. Let me warm it up by trying to recollect some of my favourites. Here they are -

Favourite Movies

5. Swades - It is a movie for all those who are cynical about the 'System' in India, especially to our NRI brothers.

4. Kaala Pathar - Juxtaposes the life of the capitlaists with that of the poor. Amitabh was brilliant in that movie and by far it is his best, according to me.

3.
Deewar - A movie which inspired Slumdog Millionaire. The movie goes on to show that those who tread the path of non-righteousness would always meet with misery and defeat. It is also close to my heart for some of the mind-blowing dialogues of Amitabh Bachchan (discussed at the end) and a few dynamic scenes which played a part in making AMITABH BACHCHAN.

2. Taare Zameen Par - Aamir Khan's best. Though it speaks of the challenged or under-privileged kids and the attention they require, I feel it showed that there is a divine soul in all of us.

1. Anand
- No words can describe this movie. All I can say is it changed my belief from 'Play to win' to 'Play like a winner'. When most of us have different reasons to be unhappy, here we have a story of a man who decides to 'live life kingsize' and remain happy despite knowing that he would be departing from his loved ones very soon. It is just a classic and my most favourite till date.

-------------------------

Favourite Actors

5. Amol Palekar - Remember his movie Golmal? He did well even in Rajanigandha.

4. Amrish Puri - This rough voiced man was amazing as a villain. He did well even in some gentle-giant roles.

3. Paresh Rawal - Like him for the humour and also his acting skills. He was divine in Hera-Pheri.

2. Aamir Khan - Simply superb. He has ensured that he doesn't remain a chocolate boy all through his life. His Taare Zameen Par deserved an Oscar!

1. Amitabh Bachchan - May be a wrong choice for someone who is brought up in the 90s. But after watching Don, Deewar, Kaalia, Agneepath, Sholay, Kaala Pathar, Hum, I can easily say that he is the best in Bollywood. His dialogue delivery ensured that I get etched on to him forever. He is the angry young man, greatest entertainer, megastar and yes... he is the 'Chalta-phirta Oscar of Indian Cinema'.


-------------------------

Favourite Cricketer

5. Steve Waugh - One of the best Captains in recent history.

4. Brian Lara - Prince of the Carribean. He was a classic. From his stance to his square cut to his one-legged-pull to his 153* against Australia to win a Test match by one wicket - he was just a treat. Somehow I feel he played for the wrong West Indies' Team.

3. Sanath Jayasuriya - Matara Mauler. He had the ability to bat full 50 0vers or was a better bowler who could be given a full quota of 10 overs. He is one of those who could go on to take even Wasim Akram. I have enjoyed Sanath-Wasim contest always.

2. Wasim Akram - Allan Border once said "If at all I were to take rebirth as a Cricketer, I would be Wasim". He was 'World's envy, Pakistan's pride'. Be it as a 20-odd year old lad till the time he played last in his mid-30s, he has always been energetic, lively and 100% committment player. Find of Imran Khan, he had almost everything with him. He could bowl outswingers, inswingers, toe-crushing yorkers, reverse-swing, pinch hit at lower down the order and also score a 257* in a Test match. He has also been someone who lost his cool very often but today when I see him as a commentator, he is altogether a different Wasim. And yeah... he played most of his Cricket being diabetic.

1. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
- Widely respected Cricketer. From the Aussie players to the Englishmen, from the alumni of world Cricket to the new budding figures of Cricket - He finds a page in everyone's book. A placard when he was playing at Sydeny read - "Commit all your sins when Sachin is batting, because, then, even Christ is watching". The day he hangs up his boots will be a heartbreak for Indians. He is someone who has scored a century in less than 48 hours of his dad's funeral, going on to get an appreciatory letter via fax from the Prime Minister of India. Probably I will reserve most of my thoughts about this great man when I write one whole topic on him.

-------------------------

Some of my favourite dialogues from Bollywood (Most of them are of Amitabh Bachchan. Kindly live with it or pretend to do so)

1. "Yeh hi hai tumhara aDDa jahaan log tumhein jaante hai?? Sher Khan... Ab na hi wardi hai, na hi main duty mein hoon... Ilaaka tumhara hai aur mein bilkul akayla hoon..." - Amitabh to Pran in Zanjeer (just before the fight scene)

2. "Jab tak baiThne ko na kahaa jaaye, tab tak chhup-chhap khaDey raho... yeh police station hai.. tumhaare baap ka ghar nahin.." - Amitabh to Pran in the Police Station duering their first meet , once again in Zanjeer.

3. "Haath pe likha hua daag toh tum plastic surgery kar ke miTaa sakti ho Anita... magar jo daag mere dil pe hai, ussey duniya ka koyee bhi doctor miTaa nahin sakta..!!!" - Amitabh to Parveen Babi in Deewar (when Parveen Babi says that the tatooed write up on his hand can be erased using plastic surgery)

4. "Yeh duniya bahut hi bigaDi hui cheez hai Gaitonde saab... yahaan pe jinda rehne ke liye bigDa hua hona bahut jaroori hai..." - Amitabh to the Police Officer in Agneepath when the Police Officer advises him to toe the line.

5. "Jab tak ek bhaai bol raha hai... tab tak ek bhai sun raha hai... Aur jab ek mujrim bolega... tab ek police officer sunega!!" - Shashi Kapoor to Amitabh in Deewar when Amitabh asks him if it is brother listening to him or a Police Officer.

6. "Bambai ki saari police mujhe dhoonD rahi hai.. iss se buri khabar aur kya ho sakti hai?" - Amitabh to his aid in Deewar when his aid says that there is a bad news for him.

7. "Maa prashaad samajh kar degi... tum miThaai samajh kar khaa lena" - Shashi Kapoor to a stubborn Amitabh who rejects the Prashaad offered by his mother.

8. "Jo aaj tak tumhaari mandir ki seeDiyaan na chaDa, jisne aaj tak tumhaare saamne sar nahin jhukaaye, jisne aaj tak tumhaare saamne haath nahin jhoDe... woh haath... woh haath tumhaare saamne haath phailaa ke khaDa hai..." - Amitabh in the famous temple scene, a monologue with Lord Shiva. Easily this is my most favourite scene from Hindi cinema.


-------------------------

Favourite actresses


5. Deepthi Bhatnagar/Suman Ranganathan/Kunika/Neena Gupta/Simi Grewal - Thumbs Up to all these vamps!

4. Bipasha Basu - Black beauty

3. Rani Mukherjee - Girl next door

2. Neetu Singh/Zeenat Aman/Parveen Babi - The glamour trio of the 70s

1. Mallika Sherawat - Yeah...!! She is just BOLD. Atleast after I saw those 17 'Juicy collision' in Khwahish, I was CLEAN BOWL'D ;-)


-------------------------


So that was some much needed fun for me after pretending that I was working hard for the project and presentations earlier this week. It's time to beg and borrow the class slides for the end term exam starting next week. It's also time for me to get geared up and test my memory in the exam hall. Stay tuned till then!

Note -

1. Congratulations to the Indian Cricket Team who have been ousted of the Champion's Trophy. Now we will not get hooked on to Star Sports/ESPN, could earn some 5-6 more marks!

2. Team India has been successful in innovatively exiting from the Champion's Trophy.
Congratulations once agin.

3. I know being an ardent Amitabh follower, Sholay should have featured in the Favourite Movies' list. But sorry!

4. Hmmmmmmmm.............. Huh!! Just chuck it
!

No comments:

Post a Comment